WWE News Roundup: Reigns on The Rock Showdown, Tommy Fury’s Potential Wrestling Debut, and NXT’s Oba Femi Update

Share this story:

Roman Reigns Talks The Rock, Cody Rhodes; Tommy Fury Eyes WWE Career; NXT Rumors on Oba Femi

By Mike Chiari | November 27, 2024 | Bleacher Report


Bleacher Report brings you the latest updates from the WWE universe, including insights from Roman Reigns on his WrestleMania 40 matches and potential future plans, boxer Tommy Fury’s interest in a WWE career, and rumors surrounding the recent absence of Oba Femi from NXT.

Roman Reigns Reflects on WrestleMania 40 and The Rock vs. Cody Rhodes Storyline

In a revealing interview on the Sports Illustrated podcast, Roman Reigns opened up about the twists and turns leading up to WrestleMania 40’s main event. When asked by host Jimmy Traina whether he was disappointed to face Cody Rhodes instead of The Rock, Reigns was clear that his priority was to be in the main event regardless of the opponent.

“It doesn’t matter to me. I was the main event. I’m the guy that everyone wanted to dance with," Reigns said. "They are trying to stop history from happening. They are trying to take us off the pinnacle right now, so it was the same task in hand for me.”

The storyline had seen Rhodes winning the 2024 men’s Royal Rumble and initially announcing he would not challenge Reigns for the WWE Championship at WrestleMania 40, suggesting The Rock might instead take his spot. However, fan backlash caused a reversal, with Rhodes later challenging Reigns after The Rock turned heel and aligned himself with the tribal chief as “The Final Boss.”

On Night 1 of WrestleMania 40, The Rock and Reigns teamed up to defeat Rhodes and Seth Rollins. The next night, Rhodes shocked WWE Universe by capturing the WWE title from Reigns in the main event.

Despite their close ties, the long-anticipated singles match between Reigns and The Rock didn’t happen at WrestleMania 40. When asked if such a showdown might still be on the horizon, Reigns said it depends on the fans.

“If the people want it and The People’s Champ is down, I’m sure we can make something happen,” Reigns stated. He emphasized WWE’s responsiveness to fan demand and hinted that a future bout is possible if the audience clamors for it.

The Rock made a surprise WWE appearance last month at Bad Blood without clarifying his intentions or appearing since, but with the ongoing storyline between the current and original Bloodline factions, a future return and clash with Reigns could be on the cards.


Tommy Fury Hints at Potential WWE Career After Backstage Visit

Boxer Tommy Fury has teased the possibility of entering the pro wrestling world with WWE after recently appearing backstage during WWE’s UK tour.

In a YouTube video posted Sunday, Fury shared his experience meeting WWE superstars such as Randy Orton, Cody Rhodes, and Gunther, expressing admiration and gratitude toward the company. He told fans, “I look forward to possibly climbing through those ropes one day. Who knows?”

Fury, 25, is the younger brother of former world heavyweight champion Tyson Fury, who had a brief stint with WWE. Tyson’s sole WWE match was in 2019 at Crown Jewel, where he defeated Braun Strowman by count-out. More recently, Tyson made headlines for knocking out WWE United States Champion Austin Theory in the crowd at Clash at the Castle 2022. Tommy Fury has carved out his own boxing legacy, boasting an undefeated 10-0 professional record and famously defeating Jake Paul. His connections with the Paul family and WWE exposure could position him well for a future WWE storyline, possibly involving Logan Paul, who is currently a WWE superstar and former United States Champion. A potential Paul brothers vs. Fury brothers tag team feud could attract wide mainstream interest, making WWE likely to keep Tommy on their radar.


NXT Star Oba Femi’s Recent Absence Sparks Speculation

Oba Femi, former NXT North American Champion, has reportedly been missing from NXT tapings for about a month, prompting speculation regarding his status. Sources cited by Fightful Select note that Femi has not been backstage since his loss to Tony D’Angelo at Halloween Havoc on October 27. The reasons behind his absence remain unclear. Possibilities include taking time to recover from two recent significant losses, refreshing his character, or injury management. After debuting on NXT television in April 2023, Femi enjoyed a dominant run—including winning the NXT Breakout Tournament and capturing the North American title from Dragon Lee—before dropping the championship to D’Angelo, ending a record 272-day reign.

Femi also lost a rematch at Halloween Havoc, after which he disappeared from weekly shows. While it could signal an upcoming move to WWE’s main roster or a temporary break, it’s also feasible that NXT officials want him off TV until the dust settles from his defeats.

When Oba Femi returns, many expect him to be a strong contender for the NXT Championship, as his athleticism and presence make him an ideal candidate to lead future storylines.


Stay tuned for more WWE updates and developments as they unfold.

Share this story:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *