Roman Reigns Discusses The Rock, Cody Rhodes; Tommy Fury Eyes WWE; Oba Femi Absent from NXT
By Mike Chiari, Bleacher Report, November 27, 2024
Wrestling fans have plenty to chew on this week as some of the biggest names in WWE and beyond make headlines. Roman Reigns recently opened up about his WrestleMania 40 main event experiences and potential future bouts, boxer-turned-possible WWE hopeful Tommy Fury hinted at a wrestling career, and NXT star Oba Femi has reportedly been absent from recent tapings. Here’s a detailed look at these developments.
Roman Reigns Reflects on WrestleMania 40 and Talks Potential Rock Match
Roman Reigns sat down with Sports Illustrated’s Jimmy Traina on the SI Media podcast and shared his perspective on the shifting plans for WrestleMania 40’s main event, where fans eagerly anticipated his match against either The Rock or Cody Rhodes.
Reigns was candid about not caring whom he faced as long as he was in the main event spotlight. “It doesn’t matter to me. I was the main event. I’m the guy that everyone wanted to dance with, you know. I am the hot chick, everyone wanted to take me out. It’s where we just need to get there and defend this thing,” he said. Reigns emphasized that the opponents, whether Rhodes or The Rock, represented obstacles trying to halt his historic trajectory in WWE.
The storyline took twists leading up to WrestleMania 40 after Cody Rhodes won the men’s 2024 Royal Rumble but initially declined to challenge Reigns for the WWE Championship. This led to speculation The Rock would step into that role. However, fan backlash prompted a change of plans, ultimately resulting in The Rock turning heel as “The Final Boss” and forming an alliance with Reigns. On Night 1 of WrestleMania 40, The Rock and Reigns defeated Cody Rhodes and Seth Rollins, only for Rhodes to capture the WWE title from Reigns in the Night 2 main event.
Though the highly anticipated Reigns vs. Rock singles match didn’t happen at WrestleMania, Reigns left the door open for it in the future. “If the people want [it] and The People’s Champ is down, I’m sure we can make something happen,” Reigns said, stressing WWE’s track record of listening to fans and creating matchups that resonate.
The Rock made a surprise unannounced return last month at the Bad Blood event but has yet to clarify his future plans. With the Bloodline factions facing off in a WarGames match at Survivor Series, many speculate The Rock could reappear and begin building toward a potential clash with his cousin Roman Reigns.
Tommy Fury Shows Interest in WWE Career
Boxing star Tommy Fury teased the possibility of entering the wrestling world with WWE during a recent YouTube video filmed backstage on WWE’s UK tour. Fury, who has built a strong professional boxing record undefeated with notable wins, mentioned meeting WWE stalwarts like Randy Orton, Cody Rhodes, and Gunther.
“So guys, that is a night at the WWE complete,” Fury shared. “Big up to Randy Orton. Absolutely amazing guy. Big up to Cody Rhodes, all of them… thank you to WWE for showing us such appreciation. And I look forward to possibly climbing through those ropes one day. Who knows? But it’s been a great night.”
Fury is the younger brother of former world heavyweight boxing champion Tyson Fury, who had a brief WWE cameo at Crown Jewel 2019 and famously knocked out Austin Theory at Clash at the Castle 2022 to prevent a Money in the Bank cash-in. Tommy’s existing relationship with the Paul family and undefeated boxing status could pave the way for intriguing WWE storylines involving the Paul brothers, particularly Logan Paul, who is an active WWE Superstar and former US Champion.
Oba Femi Missing from NXT Following Losses
On the NXT front, former North American Champion Oba Femi has reportedly been absent from NXT tapings since his loss to Tony D’Angelo at Halloween Havoc on October 27, according to Fightful Select.
After debuting on NXT television in April 2023, Femi made a fast impact by winning the NXT Breakout Tournament and cashing in to capture the North American Championship from Dragon Lee. He held the title for an impressive 272 days before dropping it to D’Angelo last month. Femi also lost the rematch and has not appeared on TV since.
While official details behind his absence are not public, speculation includes a possible injury, creative reset, or even preparation for a main roster promotion. NXT officials might also be allowing Femi time off to recover from two high-profile defeats before positioning him for a new storyline. If he returns soon, many see him as a prime contender to press for the NXT Championship and challenge the current titleholder, Trick Williams.
Stay Tuned
Bleacher Report will continue monitoring these stories as they develop, keeping fans updated on the latest in WWE and the broader pro wrestling world.
For deeper wrestling discussion, check out the latest Ring Rust Radio episode featuring hot topics and insider analysis.