Roman Reigns Reflects on The Rock, Cody Rhodes, and WrestleMania 40; Tommy Fury Eyes WWE Debut; NXT Star Oba Femi Absent Amid Rumors
By Mike Chiari, Bleacher Report – November 27, 2024
The WWE Universe is abuzz with fresh insights and developments involving some of the industry’s biggest names. Bleacher Report recently caught up with “The Tribal Chief” Roman Reigns, who provided candid thoughts on his WrestleMania 40 experiences with Cody Rhodes and The Rock. Additionally, boxer-turned-aspiring wrestler Tommy Fury hinted at a possible WWE future, while NXT’s former North American Champion Oba Femi has been noticeably missing from recent episodes, sparking speculation about his status.
Roman Reigns Opens Up About WrestleMania 40 Main Event and The Rock
In a detailed interview with Sports Illustrated’s Jimmy Traina on the SI Media podcast, Roman Reigns touched on the dynamic shifts leading up to WrestleMania 40’s main events, particularly concerning his opponents Cody Rhodes and The Rock.
When asked whether he was disappointed not to face The Rock at WrestleMania, Reigns shrugged off the matter, emphasizing his focus on being the champion and main event star, regardless of the challenger.
“It doesn’t matter to me. I was the main event. I’m the guy that everyone wanted to dance with… They are trying to stop history from happening. It was the same task in hand for me,” Reigns stated (via Ringside News).
The build-up to WrestleMania 40 was intriguing, as Rhodes initially won the men’s Royal Rumble but surprised fans by opting not to challenge Reigns for the WWE Championship. This turned the spotlight toward The Rock, who eventually made a dramatic heel turn, becoming “The Final Boss” and aligning with Reigns. On Night 1, The Rock and Roman Reigns teamed up to defeat Rhodes and Seth Rollins. Rhodes then reclaimed the WWE title from Reigns in the Night 2 main event, delivering a dramatic conclusion to the two-night spectacle.
Looking ahead, Traina probed whether a long-anticipated Reigns vs. Rock singles match remained possible. Reigns responded optimistically, underlining the power of fan demand.
“If that’s what the people want and The People’s Champ is down, I’m sure we can make something happen,” he said.
The Rock had a surprise return at WWE’s Bad Blood event last month but left his intentions ambiguous, and since then, his WWE appearances have been sparse. With a monumental WarGames match between The Bloodline’s current and original members at Survivor Series, speculation mounts on whether The Rock might make a reappearance to heighten the storyline toward an eventual Reigns showdown.
Tommy Fury Hints at WWE Dreams After Meeting WWE Superstars
Tommy Fury, the undefeated professional boxer and younger brother of heavyweight champion Tyson Fury, has hinted at a possible WWE career. The 25-year-old posted a YouTube video Monday night showcasing his time backstage during WWE’s recent UK tour.
In the video, Fury expressed appreciation for WWE superstars like Randy Orton, Cody Rhodes, and Gunther, and teased the possibility of pursuing wrestling:
“I look forward to possibly climbing through them ropes one day. Who knows? But it’s been a great night,” Fury said (Ringside News).
Fury’s brother Tyson had a high-profile WWE match at Crown Jewel 2019, defeating Braun Strowman by count-out, and has maintained connections with WWE over the years, including an infamous moment stopping Austin Theory’s Money in the Bank cash-in at Clash at the Castle 2022.
Given Tommy Fury’s boxing pedigree and his notable victory over Jake Paul, a crossover wrestling career could generate significant interest, especially considering Logan Paul’s active WWE role. This opens exciting storytelling opportunities for potential "Fury brothers vs. Paul brothers" rivalries that might captivate both mainstream and wrestling audiences.
Oba Femi’s NXT Absence Sparks Speculation
Meanwhile, NXT’s former North American Champion Oba Femi has not appeared on NXT television or been present backstage for the past month. According to Fightful Select (via Ringside News), Femi has not been seen since his October 27 loss to Tony D’Angelo at Halloween Havoc, where he dropped the North American Championship after a remarkable 272-day reign.
Femi’s absence has fueled numerous theories — from taking time off after consecutive losses to preparations for a main roster call-up or potentially recovering from injury. After debuting in April 2023, Femi experienced rapid success, winning the NXT Breakout Tournament and seizing the North American Title from Dragon Lee.
Should he return, Femi is widely viewed as a prime contender for the NXT Championship, potentially poised to challenge current titleholder Trick Williams.
Staying Connected
Fans eager for in-depth wrestling discussions can catch the latest insights on Ring Rust Radio, available via Bleacher Report, covering all the hottest wrestling topics and rumors.
As WWE continues to evolve with compelling storylines and new talent, keep an eye on these intriguing developments involving Roman Reigns, Tommy Fury, and Oba Femi as the landscape of professional wrestling shifts into 2025.