Latest WWE Updates: Roman Reigns Reflects on The Rock & Cody Rhodes, Tommy Fury Eyes WWE, and Oba Femi’s NXT Absence
In the ever-evolving landscape of WWE, fresh developments and intriguing insider news continue to capture fans’ attention. This week, Bleacher Report highlights notable updates involving WWE’s top star Roman Reigns, potential new talent Tommy Fury, and NXT’s rising star Oba Femi.
Roman Reigns Opens Up About WrestleMania 40 Opponents and Possible Future Clash with The Rock
Roman Reigns recently sat down for an interview on the SI Media podcast, where he shared candid thoughts about his WrestleMania 40 experience and the shifting plans involving The Rock and Cody Rhodes.
Reigns acknowledged the backstage uncertainty as WWE debated whether he would face The Rock or Rhodes at the biggest event of the year. When asked if he was disappointed to end up facing Rhodes instead of The Rock, Reigns insisted that the importance was simply being in the WrestleMania main event.
“It doesn’t matter to me. I was the main event. I’m the guy that everyone wanted to dance with,” Reigns said. “They are trying to stop history from happening. They are trying to take us off the pinnacle right now, so it was the same task in hand for me.”
The surprise twist occurred after Rhodes won the 2024 men’s Royal Rumble match but initially decided not to challenge Reigns for the WWE Championship at WrestleMania 40. This led to speculation that The Rock would step in for the title match. However, fan backlash forced Rhodes to reverse his position, leading to The Rock turning heel as "The Final Boss" and teaming with Reigns. The duo defeated Rhodes and Seth Rollins on Night 1, with Rhodes ultimately dethroning Reigns on Night 2. Looking ahead, Reigns was asked if a match against The Rock remains possible in the future. Reigns responded positively but emphasized that fan demand is a key factor.
“I think our fanbase and the company’s proven that if our fans are loud enough and passionate enough about something… If that’s what the people want and The People’s Champ is down, I’m sure we can make something happen,” he said.
The Rock made an unexpected return last month at WWE’s Bad Blood event but did not clarify his future plans. With the upcoming WarGames match featuring both the new and original Bloodline factions at Survivor Series, speculation is rife that The Rock could reappear to build momentum toward a showdown with his cousin.
Tommy Fury Teases Potential WWE Career After Backstage Visit
British professional boxer Tommy Fury, younger brother of heavyweight champion Tyson Fury, hinted this week at a possible future venture into pro wrestling with WWE.
Fury posted a behind-the-scenes video on YouTube chronicling his experience backstage during WWE’s recent United Kingdom tour. In the footage, he greeted various WWE Superstars, including Randy Orton, Cody Rhodes, and Gunther.
"So guys, that is a night at the WWE complete. All the wrestlers showing love," Fury said. "I look forward to possibly climbing through them ropes one day. Who knows?”
Tommy Fury currently holds an undefeated boxing record (10-0) and is best known for defeating Jake Paul. Given his connections to the Paul family—his boxing career has overlapped with fights against Jake Paul—Fury could present an intriguing matchup against Logan Paul, who has become an active WWE Superstar.
Tyson Fury’s previous involvement with WWE, notably his match against Braun Strowman at Crown Jewel 2019 and his high-profile presence at Clash at the Castle 2022, lends additional credibility to Tommy’s potential transition into wrestling. WWE may see the sibling rivalry of the Furys and Paul brothers as a mainstream draw.
Oba Femi Reported Absent From NXT After Recent Losses
On the NXT front, former North American Champion Oba Femi has not been seen at recent NXT tapings since his October 27 loss to Tony D’Angelo at Halloween Havoc.
Fightful Select reports that Femi has been missing from backstage areas for about a month. While the reason has not been disclosed, it could be a strategic decision by NXT creative to give him time off after two key losses: dropping the North American Championship to D’Angelo—ending his record 272-day reign—and losing the rematch at Halloween Havoc.
Since debuting on TV in April 2023, Femi has been on a strong upward trajectory, winning the NXT Breakout Tournament and seizing the North American title with a successful cash-in. His return is highly anticipated, with many viewing him as a top contender to challenge for the NXT Championship and potentially dethrone current titleholder Trick Williams.
Whether Femi’s absence hints at an injury, a main roster call-up, or a temporary hiatus remains unclear as fans wait for his next appearance.
For the latest updates on these stories and more wrestling news, listen to Ring Rust Radio and follow Bleacher Report’s dedicated WWE coverage.
Photo credit: WWE/Getty Images – Roman Reigns and The Rock celebrating their victory at WrestleMania 40’s Night 1 main event.